Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Calm Before The Storm

Those who say they don't have time for some form of yoga, meditation, workout, or anytime to be alone to ground themselves are not understanding the importance of it.  I used to be one of those...well, honestly...sometimes I still am one of those people.  But I know how critical for my well-being it is so I make time.  Even if it's 20 minutes.  I make it a priority.  Sometimes I have to get up well before the rest of my family to fit it in but I do.  And when I'm regular with my yoga practice and meditation, the rest of my life, perceptions, and overall well-being feels it.  I'm so much more grounded and can see things clearly.  I'm more in touch with my intuitive feelings and ideas.  Life and life's decisions aren't as much of a struggle because I know the answers.

This morning, I brought my yoga mat outside in my backyard to practice and meditate in the cool morning air.  I could hear several kinds of birds, a frog, dogs in the background, and the rustling of the leaves as they fell off the two big trees in my yard.  No music.  Just nature's sounds.  It was amazing!  It just increased that connectedness feeling that yoga and meditation already grace you with.  Of course, I had moments where my mind would wander to things like "I have 5 loads of laundry to fold", "I have to go to Trader Joe's for dinner and shuttle kids to practice and work", "Oh, Joy, and don't forget to put that bill in the mail".  As I would catch myself thinking I would immediately take a breath and try to clear my mind.  This one time though, I thought "I don't have time for this today.  I gotta get going with my errands and chores".  What came to me after was not only intriguing but absolutely what I needed to 'hear' in that moment.

There is always a 'calm' before a 'storm'.  At first, the 'calm' was this moment of me on my yoga mat in the cool morning air and the 'storm' was the rush of my hectic day I know was awaiting me.  So, I need this calm period before my storm starts.  Then I realized...nature runs that way.  I think it's a Universal law!  There is always a calm before a storm.  Literally in weather there is a calm before a storm.  And how about when wild animals (or even a pet cat or dog) hunt their prey.  They freeze, zone on their target, focus...and then frantically chase their prey.  Calm before storm!  Even a sneeze. Your breathing slows, body functions seem to suspend...right before...ACHOO!! Calm before storm.

There are many other example but this was pretty compelling to me.  No matter how busy I feel I am, it is the law of Nature and the Universe to have a moment of calm before storm.  That is how we will stay grounded during our storms of the day.  Otherwise, we may experience turmoil and fly-off during our storm (which results in unhappiness, sickness, feelings of inadequacy...and the list goes on).  Taking time for yourself in whatever way grounds you and keeps you connected to your spirit, higher self, intuition is critical.  It's how you will be able to navigate yourself through this life and all the challenges being human brings with it, but still still have a sense of peace, happiness, and well-being.  So please, find the time and make the time for yourself.  Even if it's just 15 minutes a day.

XO  Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment