Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Coconut In All Its Forms...And Its Benefits

coconut




Every time you turn around there is another touted benefit of coconut oil.  Claims from curing Alzheimer's, lowering HDL, to weight loss.  Some studies have shown a possible link between the first two claims...although, coconut oil can also raise LDL so there is a trade off.  For this article I am going to focus on the latter claim, coconut oil and weight loss.  Of course,  like with many claims, more studies need to be done BUT some preliminary studies (as stated in an article on WebMD) show that coconut oil may help reduce waist size.  Which is a good thing since that is a predominant complaint and issue of most Americans.  After researching the topic and the results of several small studies, my opinion is that coconut oil does not help you lose weight in general but there is a connection between regular coconut oil consumption and smaller waist circumference.  Science is so careful to never officially claim something as absolute truth but it is enough for me to be encouraged and continue using coconut oil.  I could bore you with the long explanation as to why coconut oil consumption is associated with smaller waist size but I won't.  Instead I will just say coconut oil is a MCT (medium chain triglyceride) that contains predominantly lauric acid (a saturated fat), no cholesterol, 117kcals and 13g/fat per Tablespoon.  Medium chain triglycerides are thought to encourage thermogenesis or increase metabolism.  Okay, so I probably did just bore you but I hate not backing up the 'why' I say something.  The bottom line, for me, is that besides tasting delicious in all forms (coconut milk, coconut water, shredded coconut, etc.)  coconut oil is a powerful antioxidant and great for the skin, hair, and body as a whole.  I eat, drink, and use coconut in many forms as well as use coconut oil in cooking, baking, and even my shakes.  You have to decide what you believe and as with everything, moderation is key.  But for me...it is a daily staple in my house. Not to mention my go-to scent in candles and perfume! ;)
XO  Joy
If you have any question or comments about this topic please comment! Or if you have any great recipes please share them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment