Thursday, January 8, 2015

Power Snacking!!



This is one of my favorite go-to snacks! It feels like a treat because of the chocolate chips but it's also a superfood. The key is portion size. It's hard sometimes to stop at the proper amount so I usually make my portion size baggies ahead of time. That way when I'm hungry and in a hurry I just grab and go and am not tempted to over indulge. I do this with several variations of homemade trail mix BUT this is the one that can get me in the most trouble:)

I use 1/4 cup (~1oz) of walnuts and 1 1/2-2 Tablespoons of 70% dark chocolate chips. Divine!!

Remember when using chocolate it's 70% and higher that contain all the health benefits we read so much about. If you're not a fan of dark chocolate but want to be, try training your tastebuds. Start with your preferred intensity and start adding a higher percentage each time you eat chocolate. I've had a couple clients try this approach and although it may take a while, it works! And is SO worth it!

Here are the stats below for this delicious healthy snack and treat:
  • 255 calories (that may seem high but the fiber and the several "good" kind of fats walnuts contain are the reason and very much worth it)
  • 5g/protein
  • 4g/fiber
  • Iron
  • B6
  • Magnesium
  • Calcium
  • Potassium
  • L-arginine (which has cardiovascular benefits)
  • ALA (omega-3)
  • Cancer fighting properties
  • Antioxidant (in walnuts this type of antioxidant, polyphenols, helps lower cholesterol)
  • Anti-inflammatory 


Honestly, I could go on with the health benefits of eating walnuts and dark chocolate but I think this is a powerful persuasive start! So the next time you're grocery shopping pick up some walnuts and dark chocolate chips and create your go-to power snack. Set yourself up for success!!

XO  Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment